Wednesday, July 23, 2008

the brave new world

Things are beginning to settle down here. It's been 2 weeks since our stuff got here and there are boxes in almost every room of the house that still need to be unpacked. And a garage packed nearly solid. Hubby and I have entirely too much crap.

On the upside I am almost done unpacking our kitchen. Next to the garage that's probably the largest amount of work so I feel like I'm on the verge of having really accomplished something. My only problem is that as we come to the last few boxes of dishes, etc., it's getting really hard to find a place for it all. Have I mentioned we have too much crap? It doesn't help that when I moved in with Hubby we had a stalemate over dishes. I liked mine and didn't want to get rid off them. He felt the same about his. So we still have both. Plus somebody (I don't want to name names) insists on buying every cool looking beer mug he sees. And 8 of them so there's enough for everyone. (Kim, my favorite glasses are still the ones you got me in college).

I'm trying to psych myself up for a quick trip back to California next week for my aunts wedding. Psyching up is required because I will be flying by myself with Little Guy since Hubby can't get away from the new job so early on. Our flight experience with him has ranged from "Nightmare From Hell" to "Tolerable in comparison to the Nightmare From Hell". Not looking forward to it.

But we're are headed down there for a very special event. This year, on the 10th anniversary of my aunts commitment ceremony, they will be legally married. I'm misting up just typing about it. I'm so freaking happy for them. My Aunt B is seriously one of my favorite people on the face of the earth. I have so much respect for her as a human being. And she has always, always been there for me.

So I will submit myself to the mercy of the gods of toddler travel. Because it's for a woman who once told me she would crawl through broken glass to get to me if I ever needed her. And I've always known she meant it.

1 comment:

Henry said...

i pity anyone who has to travel with a toddler! i cringe thinking about it!