Thursday, February 19, 2015

Skull Throne : more great reading

I received an advanced reading copy of The Skull Throne, the 4th book of Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle series. What follows is my honest review.


My first impression of this book is that it was very, very long.  I routinely digest large volumes but this story was just so incredibly big. Fortunately it was equally entertaining.

As in previous books the point of view jumps around, this time spending relatively little time with the original protagonist, Arlen.  Some might find this egregious but the time spent with the other main characters is very enjoyable.  The addition of new characters breathes fresh life to the story.  Four books and countless pages deep into this story Brett still surprises and delights, still keeps us caring, and still leaves us with great cliffhanger endings.

This series has grown to remind me of the great work of Robert Jordan.  The shifting points of view, the antiheroes, the feminism, the fight for all of mankind -- the Demon Cycle shares much with the Wheel of Time.  With additions as strong as Skull Throne I can only that hope that Brett is equally prolific.


No comments: